Orthopaedic Enhanced Recovery Pathway 2014
The Wesley Hospital is pleased to announce the launch of the Orthopaedic Enhanced Recovery Pathway, a new pathway designed to enhance the care of patients undergoing elective total knee and hip arthroplasty.
The pathway aims to
- Reduce (or minimise the effect of) post operative complications
- Shorten length of stay and allow patients to return home earlier
- Improve patient outcome and confidence at discharge.
The pathway involves
- Enhanced Pre-admission assessment by the multidisciplinary team including Physician, Dietitian, Occupational Therapy, Nursing and Physiotherapy input
- Enhanced Preoperative management including Pre-habilitation and participation in the Wesley Joint School.
- Identification of a “personal coach” for support post operatively
- Early mobilisation
- Support for rural and remote patients.
- Enhanced discharge planning.
The Wesley’s Pre-Admission Clinic will play a significant role preparing patients for surgery, providing information about procedures and a practical discharge plan for when the patient returns home, including home modifications and referrals to follow-up services such as day rehabilitation or rehabilitation-in-the-home.
For further information regarding the Orthopaedic Enhanced Recovery Pathway, please contact Ross Ferguson on 0427 027 324 or the Pre-Admission Clinic on 3232 7000.